14.9.11

Dangers, Toil, Snares & Richard Dawkins.

It's official. I no longer believe in the divinity of the bible. 



There I've said it.

I read this the other day;

"The Bible is like an elderly senile citizen who is usually incoherent and out of touch with reality, but because of the love of her children (the believers) and with their denial and ingenuity of support (apologetics), she is lovingly taken by the arm and theologically helped to shuffle along".

It both tickled me and struck a nerve. Whereas I don't necessarily concur entirely with it's rather (un)veiled sarcasm, I reckon it more or less states where I am in terms of The Good Book's status with me at the mo.
I've recently had a FaceAche conversation with a friend. I call him a friend not because we go out for a pint and share a history or jokes. No, I call him a friend because he acts like one. He's a pastor of a church some of my "real friends" go to. I got into conversation with him by high jacking a post he made on his personal wall space.

The post obviously sparked a response that had been brewing and niggling me.
So I started to ask some questions and come out of the closet re my denunciation of the 4th member of the Trinity - the bible.

The exchanges that took place were in the main placid on my part and very humble from my friend.

I received some council and warnings about my non belief in the bible as totally God Breathed, but unfortunately the "argument" against me was always via the use of scriptural quotation. Unfortunate, not because there wasn't wisdom in the references (there is - the Bible is a brilliant book - the best in terms of pointing towards God and I definitely believe in God. ).. It was unfortunate because I'd already gone naked and exposed my disbelief in the bibles authority over me. Ergo I not going to be swayed by bible references.

I have no beef with people teaching the bible.

However, my problem lies with how it's messages (not The Message) is used to manipulate and control congregations. Be that conscious or unconscious. 

My mistake I suppose was to get involved with something that was non of my business ( a pastors words of encouragement to his church).. I had no right really to evangelise my non belief in the bible. There is possibly a time and place for discussions of the nature I undertook and in future I'll keep my nose out of other peoples business.

My own misgivings led me towards paths that I know deep down I'm better than. They took me into Richard Dawkins territory in terms of a potential arrogant and bigoted attack.

I may officially be a divine bible disbeliever but Dawkins is officially A Twat.

Dawkins regards the intellect as the only accessor of information – and I nearly fell into that trap.


No comments:

Post a Comment