29.1.13

The Rhetoric of Unity (What would Bobby Do?)

Musical Interlude:

 St Bob


The Rhetoric of Unity
(What would Bobby Do?)

Oh, my name it is nothing,
My age it means less.
The church that I come from
Is all but gone West
I was taught and dragged up there
Their laws to abide, and
That the church that I lived in
Had God on its side.

Oh, the big black books tells it,
It tells it so well:
The Angels they charged,
And Lucifer fell.
The Christians are still charging,
Though believers have died 
Oh, the religion was young then,
With God on its side.

The Romans and Anglo's
had War had their day,
And the Civil Church Wars, too,
were soon laid away.
And the names of the leaders?
Too many to memorise,
With the truth in their hands
And God on their side.

The First Wave of War, boys,
It came and it went;
Of their reasons for fighting
They simply repent
But I learned to support it,
Support and not hide;
For you don't count the lost ones
When God's on your side.

The Second Wave War, boys,
It came to an end.
We forgave the Catholics,
Now we're half brothers if not friends.
They murdered many millions
In the crusades with lies
The Church it must seem to
Have God on their side.

In the 1960s, it came down,
The Conversion War;
When somebody told me
What Jesus died for
Many young men they cried,
Of heir sins they were tried;
And they asked me the question,
Is God on your side?

Now they've learned to hate the sin
That ravages life.
If another faith comes,
Then it's them we must fight.
To fear them and hate them,
To scorn and to chide,
We'll never ask questions
With God's on our side.

We'll wield godly word weapons
It'll be dust to dust.
Into fire they'll be cast down,
In fire we trust.
One more charismatic,
And we'll take the world wide;
And we never ask questions
When God's on our side.

Through many a year now
I been thinking about this,
How Jesus the Christ was
Betrayed by a kiss.
Though I can't think for you,
Its for you to decide
If Judas Iscariot had
God on his side.

Oh The Vine Yard hooked Dylan
How deep? - you decide
The Scientists caught Tom Cruise
It seems you can't hide
Now a slow trains a leavin'
To vanilla skies
But in Gods eyes we're all famous 
With Him on our side


As I get closer to leaving
At this moment, to hell.
From confusion I'm reeling
Under religious spells
The truths fill my head
And they drip to the floor;
And if God is on my side then,
There will be no more war.


RCB 2013 -        Borrowed a smidgen from Bob Dylan




No comments:

Post a Comment