31.10.11

Hitler, Mussolini & Spastic Fat Men Trying To Get To Heaven


CHRISTIANITY: "Religion or a Lifestyle?"

It's a cliché to ask such a question really. However, as with all clichés there is a element of seriousness and reality. Such a question is not the reserve of Christianity either. In fact most major faith groups would concur that their religion is indeed a lifestyle.
As a cheap and clichéd opener then, lets use the illustration of Hitler and Nazism. Few would argue that Hitler was a fervent follower of Nazism. Nazism being the ideology and the practice of an extremist form of fascism that Hitler promoted and dictated in Germany. It is a particularly evil belief system that incorporates biological racism and anti-Semitism. It is said that the Italian dictator, Benito Mussolini, said, “Fascism is a religion”. History has shown that many died under this religion. Many continue to do so in the name of other religions, including the one we call christianity. Hitler wrote in his book, Mein Kampf: ". . . I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews, I am doing the Lord's work."
As a child I grew up with the knowledge that christianity is a religion. Possibly if you ask most people both inside and particularly outside churches, they would say that a christian, a Jew, a Moslem, a Hindu etc is a religious person. I often get asked if I am religious; I usually answer “no”. Simply because for many the connotation of religious is negative and I can't be arsed to listen to the clichés of how “religion is the the cause etc, etc”. I do tell people though that I believe in God and primarily that I have have a faith that Jesus is God and that I try to follow Jesus teaching and example.
I suppose that people get pigeon holed as to their “religion” when we are often asked to fill a form, and there is this provision to state your religion; we are always tempted, and we write Christianity.
As I continue to study the life and the teachings of Jesus I have more and more come to the conclusion that he did not come to establish a religion; but to reveal a lifestyle.
Orthodox christian teaching tells us that Jesus message to all mankind is the mechanism by which they have to live to be saved. “Saved” is one of the cannon of words and phrases that I have come to cringe at. It's christianese at it's best. Patronising to those who don't believe as it puts forward a concept that few today can begin understand nor appreciate. “Saved!? Lost? I didn't know I was lost!”

So if indeed our faith should be a lifestyle, surely those wishing to promote a particular flavour e.g. christian should a) know how to “sell” their product to a 21st century audience by using language and illustrations recognisable and relevant to them in their communities and a wider society (just as Jesus did) - and b) actually believe in the product and practice what they preach.

In promoting the brand “Christian” as opposed to the real thing “Jesus” (in my opinion) we have come to accept a religion and its rituals and set down dogmas that must be followed instead of personally accepting our responsibilities to follow the god we believe in and adhere to the lifestyle he suggested.

But unfortunately being human we have different opinions about the same thing and we have ended up dividing ourselves. We've ended up creating denominations. Different clubs who purport to believe in the same god but who in certain cases certainly don't follow the same God that I believe in. It's all too confusing to the non believer and the hypocrisy perceived by those whom non believers observe not to living the lifestyle of their “religion” is the smell that keeps folk away from churches.

I've no beef with different styles of churches, it's a horses for courses thing but until there is some radical agreement in the big issues of the doctrines and beliefs for example in The C Of E and The Roman Catholic Church (and many others) then it's really difficult for people to begin to explore their spirituality as opposed to their willingness to follow one set of rules and regulations compared to another.

So if my personal answer is that “Christianity is a Lifestyle” - how am I doing? Am I living that lifestyle?

The man who started the movement of churches that I used to belong to was a brilliant teacher. He was loved and hated in equal measure – a bit like Jesus eh? His name was John Wimber and you should check out his stuff. I love it's practicality. I love Wimber's realistic approach and his honesty. He once said “never trust a man who walks without a limp”.  A wonderful illustration to indicate that no one is perfect.  I try to follow Jesus in my own limited way but the reality and honesty in my case is that I am so ill equipped. I've spent years in churches thinking that I was following Jesus when I think I should have spent more time getting to know God better. If Jesus is God as I suspect he is, then instead of worshipping the man I should have been aiming higher and honing in on the big boss.
Once my God realisation is truly sharpened then I reckon I'll be able to walk in Jesus footsteps with a much more steady gait. Until then may I apologise to you in advance for anything I may say or do that is not in keeping with the stereotype you may expect of me and my chosen lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment